Defeat but new-look Town show promise



A NEW-look and largely experimental Great Harwood side showed many promising touches against vistors Warrington who have been in contention for a promotion spot for the past two seasons.

Harwood began their league fixtures without a single surviver from last season’s campaign-an indication of manager Len Hall’s determination to create a locally-based outfit.

For the first 20 minutes Warrington pressed hard, but against the run of play Harwood took the lead.

Roger Walker, who gave up playing football last season but was re-signed just before the game, completed a dream debut by latching onto a through ball after good work by Clark and McGee.

With only the goalkeeper to beat, Walke made no mistake and Harwood were one up.

Warrington fought back and just before the interval got a deserved equaliser after Pomfret could only palm out a centre and Hill hammered home an unstoppable shot from an acute angle.

The second half was a fairly even affair, but the visitors scored a decisive second in the 75 th minute, Hill again being the scorer.

Harwood stepped up a gear for the final 10 minutes but could not force the equaliser. However manager Len Hall must have been pleased with the way his new centre back pairing of Greenhalgh and Proos, both converted strikers, performed. Proos, however had to go off after 60 minutes to be replaced by new signing Scott Riley.

Great Harwood Town: Pomfret, Baron, Rogerson, Greenhalgh, Proos, Sweeney, Flynn, McGee, Walker, Clark, Letts. Sub. Riley


Defeat for Harwood



TWO SECOND HALF goals sent Harwood tumbling to defeat against the side that recently beat Clitheroe in the final to take the North West Counties League Cup.

A gale blowing straight down the pitch made it a match of two distinct halves and chances for Harwood in the opening 45 minutes were few and far between, with Warrington always seeming to be in control of the situation.

The best opportunity Harwood had in that first half came when a shot by Steve Benko was well saved by the Warrington goalkeeper.

The visitors took the lead on the hour when a throw-in was deflected on by a Harwood player and Warrington striker Hufhes made no mistake.

Shortly afterwards, Harwood had probably their best scoring chance of the match when Paul Goldsborough brought a good save from the Warrington ‘keeper and with Paul Brown following up, the ‘keeper made another fine save to prevent him getting to the ball.

Warrington sewed up the points 10 minutes from time when that man Hughes hit his second, curling the ball round Dave Mottershead in the Harwood goal with a fine effort from the edge of the 18-yard box.

Harwood manager Malcolm Darling described the match as a “typical end of season clash” and was disappointed that his side didn’t gain any reward from the match.

“We only had a couple of notable chances but Warrington didn’t really look like cup winners, although all credit to them for the way they controlled the game and then took their chances,” said Mr Darling.

Harwood’s line-up: Mottershead, MacAreavey, Astin, Martin, Jones, P A Brown, Moran, Geldard (sub P G Brown 75 mins), Benko, Bennett, Goldsborough.

Go to the Harwood Home Page Go to the Harwood Home Page Contacts Page Take a look at our souvenirs
©2009 J Fenton