Great Harwood Town 4 Padiham 1


Two goals for Marren as Friday experiment proves a big success

The experiment of playing Friday night soccer at the Showground to avoid a clash with the Blackburn Rovers-Oxford United clash proved a big success for Great Harwood Town-in more ways than one.
Not only did they clinch victory by a convincing scoreline over their bottom-of-the-table derby rivals, but a bumper crowd of around 200 was there to see it-five or even ten times the attendance they might have expected on Saturday afternoon.
Harwood manager Rick Grogan didn’t think the victory was as convincing as it might have been, particularly bearing in mind the lowly position of the opposition.
But he was happy with the scoreline in the end and with the fact that victory kept Harwood right up among the promotion contenders in the North West Counties Second Division. Harwood officials were delighted with the attendance and it seems very likely that a switch to Friday evenings will be repeated.
Harwood took the lead midway through the first half when Mick Marren headed the ball home form close range and ten minutes later, it was Marren again who made it 2-0 with a very impressive gaol.
Dribbling in on goal, he lost possession on the edge of the 18 yard box, but won the ball back and from the six-yard line slammed it high into the net.
There were also plenty of other chances-at both ends-during the first half, with Marren going close to scoring on two more occasions with a couple of impressive headers, one of which was cleared off the line, and Padiham hit the post with a worthy effort.
In the early stages of the second half, Padiham came back with a vengeance in a bid to get back into the game without delay, and midway through the second half, they pulled a goal back through full back Lane.
But within a few minutes, Harwood had restored their two goal advantage when Marren pulled the ball from the right for Phil Greenhalgh to score and ten minutes from time, John Bowman made it 4-1 when his first attempt on goal hit a post and rebounded into play and Bowman covered all of 20 yards to get to the ball first and slam it home.
One depressing aspect of the victory for Harwood was that skipper Brian Moran limped off with an injury after just 15 minutes to be replaced by Roger Walker.

Harwood’s line-up:

Maher, Vercoe, Procter, Martin, Clayton, Burton, Foy, Moran(sub. Walker 15 mins.), Bowman, Marren, Greenhalgh.

Go to the Harwood Home Page Go to the Harwood Home Page Contacts Page Take a look at our souvenirs
©2009 J Fenton