Kirkby Town 2 Great Harwood Town 0



Former Clitheroe striker Eric Geldard, making only his third appearance for Great Harwood Town, was sent off for allegedly kicking an opponent as the Showground side fell to defeat away to newly-promoted Kirkby Town on Saturday.
The incident came 15 minutes from time when the scores were still blank and some five minutes before a controversial penalty awarded to Kirkby which effectively decided the issue.
Up until the penalty award, Harwood had looked a good bet to hold out for a point despite the fact that the visitors didn’t create a single scoring opportunity of note.
But, with the odds against them as they lined up without four regulars, all missing because of suspension, Harwood defended well, with their latest signing, defender Mark Jones, formerly with Wren Rovers and a team mate of Harwood management pair Malcolm Darling and Harold Martin when they were together at Darwen, defending well.
In the first half, Kirkby created some good chances, but Harwood ‘keeper Dave Mottershead was in fine form, denying home strikers Saunders and McConville with a couple of impressive saves.
The second half followed a similar pattern, with the Merseysiders making most of the running and in the 75th minute, after a couple of minor scuffles earlier on, Geldard was sent off.
Five minutes later, Harwood went behind in controversial circumstances when the ball appeared to strike Paul A. Brown in the midriff but the referee awarded a penalty, which was converted by McConville.
Harwood manager Darling then brought on Stuart Lally-fit again after injury, for Paul A. Brown and a minute from time, with Harwood pressing forward and exposed at the back, Saunders sewed up the match for Kirkby as he scored their second goal

Harwood’s line-up was:
Mottershead, Vercoe, Martin, Jones, Aston, Blackburn, Paul G. Brown, Paul A. Brown (sub. Lally), Walker, Geldard.

Go to the Harwood Home Page Go to the Harwood Home Page Contacts Page Take a look at our souvenirs
©2009 J Fenton