Great Harwood Town 0 Ford Motors 0


Town draw blank

GREAT HARWOOD TOWN had to be content with their fifth goalless draw in 10 league matches so far this season after dominating Saturday’s game at home to Ford Motors for long periods.
Harwood were well in command in the early stages but, as on so many previous occasions this term, they were unable to turn their superiority into goals.
The Harwood defence looked very firm through the match but their front men were continually frustrated in their attempts to find their way onto the scoresheet and ironically the best chances of putting Harwood ahead fell to a player who was only on the field 20 minutes-substitute Eric Geldard, who came on for Stuart Lally in the 70th minute.
Within a few minutes of coming on, former Clitheroe striker Geldard created a worthy opportunity for himself, turning well and shooting narrowly wide of the target.
Then a few minutes later, he again shot wide and Harwood ended up with no goals and just a single point to show for their efforts. Ford rarely looked likely to grab a goal in a dour clash which again really highlighted Harwood’s need for new blood up front to try and turn their chances into goals.
Harwood’s line-up was: Mottershead, Vercoe, Martin, Jones, Astin, Blackburn, Moran, Benko, Ashcroft, Walker, Lally (sub. Geldard).


November 30th 1985


Marren goal clinches victory for Harwood
GREAT HARWOOD TOWN bounced back in style from their embarrassing defeat against bottom-of-the-table Ellesmere Port in their last home match of the season on Saturday to earn a creditable victory away to Ford Motors on Tuesday evening.
A goal two minutes into the second half by Mick Marren who was carrying an injury throughout the match, clinching the points for Harwood, who gave their best display for some weeks despite being without a number of regular players because of injury and unavailability. Manager Rick Grogan in fact had to name himself as substitute.
With leading scorer Phil Greenhalgh in midfield, Marren and Roger Walker gave sound showings up front and it was in fact Walker who laid on the winning goal for Marren after Harwood had had the best of the first half play without being able to take the lead.
Greenhalgh started the move that led to the winning goal, beat the Ford defence’s attempted offside trap with a great through ball that found Walker on the left.
He took the ball down to the bye-line and put over an inch perfect ball to the feet of Marren, who made no mistake from 5 yards.
Shortly after that, Marren had a good chance to score his and Harwood’s second but he stabbed the ball wide of the target.
Twenty minutes from time, Walker found himself with a goal scoring opportunity, but his effort shaved a post.
Harwood certainly played the better football in the second half and deserved the points for a very impressive show against tough, uncompromising opponents.
Harwood’s Phil Cocker and two Ford players were booked.

Go to the Harwood Home Page Go to the Harwood Home Page Contacts Page Take a look at our souvenirs
©2009 J Fenton