Great Harwood Town 1 Colne Dynamos 1



A headed goal by skipper Brian Moran six minutes from time spared Great Harwood Town’s blushes after they had looked in grave danger of going down to their first home defeat of the season in Saturday’s derby clash with Colne.
Just days after the euphoria of their 1-0 victory over another set of local rivals, Clitheroe, Harwood struggled to put their game together for most of an uninspiring clash and when Dynamoes took the lead from the penalty spot nine minutes into the second half, it looked as though Harwood might be heading for defeat.
Little went right for them up front and with the minutes ticking away, the visitors seemed to be on their way to taking both points.
But in the 84th minute, Brian Foy put over a corner from the right and Moran powered his way through a packed defence to crash a header past the helpless Colne ‘keeper Dave Stobbs.
Less than a minute later, Alan Proctor had the best chance of giving Harwood the lead when he shot over the bar from just inside the 18 yard box.
But on the day, a draw was really a fair result, for both sides struggled for long periods to make their presence felt in front of goal and chances were few and far between at either end throughout.
Harwood’s best chance of the opening half came when striker Stuart Lally-goal hero of that victory over Clitheroe the previous Wednesday-had a header cleared off the line by a Colne defender and Harwood seemed hard done by to have a penalty appeal turned down when Lally’s front line colleague Mick Marren appeared to be sent sprawling in the 18 yard box.
That refused appeal was made all the more hard to swallow after 54 minutes when Colne were given a penalty for what seemed a similar offence.
Harwood ‘keeper Phil Maher, playing his first game of the season after recovering from a shoulder injury, was adjudged to have committed a foul close to the bye-line.
Steve McKavett slotted it home without too much trouble and after that, C9olne enjoyed the best of the play.
But Harwood defended well, although it appeared they would have their work cut out to earn anything from the match after that penalty set back.
Thanks to Moran, however, Town extended their home record this season to five points out of six, although their general performance on Saturday disappointed a little, particularly after the heady delights of the Clitheroe clash.
GREAT HARWOOD TOWN: Maher, Vercoe, Bent, Proctor, Martin, Haworth (sub. Greenhalgh 68 mins), McGee, Moran, Lally, Marren, Foy.

Great Harwood Town 2 Colne Dynamos 1



The Robins were riding high in the N.W.C.L. 2nd Division and local rivals Colne Dynamos tried but failed to stop our march up the table. This win saw us move up to 2nd place but within a couple of years Chalky White had taken over and Colne went shooting off into the distance until they reached the Conference before disbanding.

Great Harwood Town bounced back in style from the disappointment of defeat at Salford the previous week to register a derby victory over Colne Dynamos at Holt House on Saturday. But Rick Grogan’s side had to wait until the very last minute of the game before a headed goal by Mick Marren clinched maximum points for them.
After a fairly even first half, Town dominated the second 45 minutes, went one up through Nigel Burton in the 52nd minute but in the 70th minute, missed a penalty which could have effectively put the game out of Colne’s reach. Marren was tripped in the 18 yard box, but Brian Foy-acting Harwood skipper in the absence of Brian Moran-put the ball wide of the post from the spot.
Fifteen minutes later, as if to rub Harwood’s noses in the disappointment of that miss, Colne were awarded a penalty when their dangerous striker Bolton was upended by Harold Martin and Steve McKavett made no mistake from 12 yards. With just 5 minutes remaining, it seemed like the match might well be heading for a draw-a repeat of the result when the two sides met at the Showground in early September. And when a Phil Greenhalgh effort hit the post and went out for a goal kick, it seemed that Town would have to be content with a single point. But with the final seconds ticking away, Baz McGee launched on a surging run and put over a fine cross which Marren headed home.
It was a victory that Harwood really deserved for their dominance of an eventful match played in near perfect conditions.

Great Harwood Town: Maher, Vercoe, Procter, Martin, Dobson, Bowman, Burton, Foy, McGee, Greenhalgh, Marren, Sub. Nugent


Go to the Harwood Home Page Go to the Harwood Home Page Contacts Page Take a look at our souvenirs
©2009 J Fenton