Great Harwood Town 1 Clitheroe 0



A dramatic last minute goal by Stuart Lally secured a splendid victory for Harwood Town and brought Clitheroe’s 100% record in the North West Counties League to an end.
In a pulsating derby clash before a bumper crowd of well over 300 Harwood defended well and continually frustrated the visitors in their efforts to extend their winning run.
And with just seconds remaining, Rick Grogan’s men produced the killer blow that clinched both points and gave Town their third victory in four matches this term.
How different to last season, when Harwood repeatedly struggled to make their presence felt, particularly in home matches in front of meagre crowds.
On Wednesday evening, the Showground absolutely oozed with atmosphere and Town matched their high riding opponents ball for ball.
Time and again, the Harwood defence capably soaked up the pressure from the visitors’ front line and created some excellent chances themselves. In the first half, Clitheroe’s Dave Proos was thwarted by the crossbar after a surging run from midfield and on the half hour, Harwood’s Baz McGee hit the post and then saw the rebound go over the bar from close range.
Clitheroe started the second half in lively fashion, with former Bury and Darwen midfielder Steve Mullen-the Shawbridge side’s leading scorer this term-looking particularly dangerous.
He shot narrowly over the bar on a couple of occasions and after 75 minutes had the ball in the back of the net only to have the effort ruled out for offside.
Four minutes from time, Clitheroe’s former Harwood player Clive Dunn headed just wide of the Harwood goal with home ‘keeper Paul Lemming beaten.
It seemed that the match was heading for a goalless draw-which itself would have been a creditable result for revitalised Harwood.
But Town weren’t going to settle for anything less than maximum points and with time fats running out they gained a corner.
Lally, Town’s leading goalscorer last season, went up for a header but saw his effort saved by Clitheroe ‘keeper Dennis Underwood. Lally fell to the ground but, as the ball bobbled around the goalmouth, he managed to steer it home.

Leeming, Moran, Bent, Martin, Vercoe, Proctor, Dobson, McGee, Haworth, Lally, Marren, Foy. Sub. Greenhalgh.

Underwood, Hutchinson, Shaw, Kinder, Richards, Mullen, Eatough, Proos, Dunn, Taylor, McGuire. Sub. Hunt.

Referee-D. Phillips (Manchester)


Great Harwood Town 2 Clitheroe 2

(After extra time, 90 minutes 1-1, Clitheroe win 8-7 on penalties)


Harwood lose out on night of high drama


Great Harwood Town crashed out of the North West Counties League Cup in the most heart breaking fashion on a night which will live long in the memories of the crowd of more than 500 for a long time to come.
After coming back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 in last Saturday’s initial 2nd Round tie at Shawbridge, Harwood twice recovered from being a goal behind in the replay but in the end went out on penalties as the match moved into the realms of ‘Lat night extra’ entertainment as the clock ticked round to 10.05 p.m.
Less than two weeks after Harwood beat their old rivals from the Ribble Valley 1-0 in a League match with a last minute goal by Stuart Lally, the two sides turned in another exciting spectacle for a large crowd.
And after the thrills of Tuesday night, rumour has it that the Royal Shakespeare Company are going to send a representative along to the next meeting between the sides to try and pick up a few pointers on drama.
Harwood had the best of the play in the early stages, twice hitting the woodwork through John Bowman and Mick Marren but it was Clitheroe who broke the deadlock 20 minutes before the end of normal time when former Harwood Town player Clive Dunn squeezed the ball home from the left of goal.
It seemed that Clitheroe were on their way to victory-surely history couldn’t repeat itself and see Harwood score in the dying seconds just as they did in the league victory on August the 29th!
But literally seconds from the whistle, Ronnie Haworth headed the ball home to take the replay into extra time and leave the Clitheroe followers staring in disbelief as the Harwood fans celebrated.
Five minutes into extra time Clitheroe substitute Eric Geldard put his side 2-1 in front just a couple of minutes after coming onto the field but five minutes from the end of the extra half hour, Mick Marren, who had a very impressive game, headed Town level and took the match to penalties.
Both side then scored their first seven penalties before Keith Dobson saw his kick saved by Clitheroe keeper Dennis Underwood. Skipper Mick Ashcroft slotted home his side’s 8th penalty to take the visitors through.
If the match had finished 1-1 instead of 2-2, Harwood would have won on away goals, but as it was, their three dramatic fight-backs over the two games were ultimately in vain.


Maher, Vercoe, Proctor Moran, Martin, Dobson, Bowman, Haworth, Marren, Lally, Greenhalgh, Foy. Sub. Clayton.

Go to the Harwood Home Page Go to the Harwood Home Page Contacts Page Take a look at our souvenirs
©2009 J Fenton